Saturday, October 15, 2016

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast
By Nancy Campbell Allen
Shadow Mountain, 2016. 335 pgs. Romance

In this steampunk retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Lucy visits Blackwell manor to help take care of her sick cousin. She soon discovers that things are not as they seem as a restless ghost roams the halls and Lord Miles is obviously hiding something.

This is another book published my Shadow Mountain as part of their Proper Romance series but it is very different from all the rest. It still takes place in Regency England and I knew it would have a steampunk twist, but I wasn't fully prepared to have ghosts, vampires, and werewolves too. There was also a murder to be solved and a mysterious illness. There was a lot going on in this novel and for me, it was almost too much. The romance was very subtle and almost got buried under everything else. I still really enjoy this new line of books and will continue to read them but I'm am glad this one is not part of a series.

AL

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this book. To me, it is a Pride and Prejudice meets Van Helsing meets Beauty and the Beast. The characters are fabulous and the setting and context is phenomenal. One of the things I absolutely love about this book is that I can recommend it to anyone comfortably. It is part of the Proper Romance line by Shadow Mountain so all the romance and language is clean. This book was definitely a new take on the classic Beauty and the Beast story and I loved the originality.

-LH