Saturday, April 2, 2016

American Blood

American Blood 
By Ben Sanders
Minotaur Books, 2015. 339 pgs. Fiction

Marshall Grade used to be a NYPD detective, but after an undercover operation goes wrong he finds himself in the witness protection program in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Although Marshall is supposed to be lying low, he decides to help find a missing girl, Alyce Ray, and quickly becomes the target of powerful new enemies. To add to his troubles, Marshall discovers that his past misdeeds have followed him to his new home.

I picked up this book because the contemporary western setting reminded me of one of my favorite novels, No Country For Old Men. I loved the descriptions of the vast western landscape, and I thought the protagonist was an interesting representation of a modern day cowboy riding into town to do good despite the danger. While there was a lot going on in this novel Sanders did a job bringing everything together with a final twist I didn't see coming!

CNC

No comments: